Medical Spanish and Clinical Observership (Summer)
With a growing Spanish-speaking population in the United States, there is a critical need for our future medical professionals to understand the language in order to better serve their patients. With Augsburg CGEE’s summer Medical Spanish and Clinical Observership program, students will focus on Spanish language and Mexican culture in a medical context.
Take a specialized language course, Spanish for Healthcare Professionals, taught by a bilingual Mexican Physician. In addition, we are able to place students in a Medical Observership, for practical real-world experiences.
Learn more and apply to this program
Courses & Internships
Language Prerequisite: three courses of college-level Spanish.
- Take a course in Spanish for healthcare professionals, taught by a bi-lingual doctor, to increase your ability to communicate with your patients effectively in Spanish.
- Participate in a medical observership and witness healthcare in Mexico first hand through a variety of experiences; medical clinics, private and public hospitals, and more.
- Participate on a program run by an organization dedicated to social justice, which uplifts the voices of underrepresented and marginalized peoples in all programs.
- Homestays with welcoming and friendly folks in Cuernavaca. Housing requests for gay and lesbian-friendly, sober/dry homestays, and vegetarian-friendly are all available!
Fluent and bilingual students are also welcome.
Students will take the following two courses, for a total of 8 credits:
- Spanish 218: Spanish for Healthcare Professionals
- Interdisciplinary Studies or Spanish 399: Internship
- This is the "Medical Observership", following guidelines of Global Ambassadors for Patient Safety. Typical activities involved in placements include:
- Opportunity to observe live births, assist with patient information collection, and become familiar with common medical procedures.
- Shadow doctors in a variety of specializations.
- Participate in health seminars with local Mexican medical students
- Practicum visits to the Mexican Institute of Traditional Medicine, the National Public Health Institute, the School of Midwifery, and doctors' offices.
Students will stay with local families in Cuernavaca, and take courses at the CGEE Study Center and our partner language school. The study center and school are a 15-minute walk from downtown Cuernavaca and the main city plaza, in the neighborhood of San Antón. CGEE is well established in San Antón and has many friends and close connections in the neighborhood, including many of the homestay families. CGEE is located at the top of one of the large ravines that runs through the city, offering a dramatic view from the nearby bridge that leads to downtown. Because of the ravine, there is a 100-foot waterfall right in the neighborhood, a local eco-tourist attraction. Right across the bridge, students will find a large public garden/park, an independent movie theater, the Cathedral, and several popular cafés.
Why This Program?
This program is ideal for any student interested in working in the medical field that would like to better serve Spanish-speaking patients (future nurses, doctors, physician assistants, and so many more).
For More Information